Director, Head & Neck Multidisciplinary Center
Christiana Care Health System
- B.A., University of Delaware (Biology) - 1977
- M.D., Jefferson Medical College - 1981
- Intern in Surgery, University of Hawaii (1981-1982)
- Resident in Surgery, Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital (1982-1983)
- Resident in Otolaryngology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School (1983-1986)
Biography: Dr. Witt is a surgeon who specializes in head and neck oncology; tumors of the oral cavity, pharynx, larynx, para-nasal sinuses, thyroid and salivary glands. Advanced cancers often require combined multi-modality therapy that can include minimally invasive to radical surgery. One of the consequences of multi-modality treatment is xerostomia (dryness) particularly from radiation therapy. Patients often suffer poor quality of life because of xerostomia.
There is a significant need for the treatment of xerostomia. Present medications are only partially successful and come with side effects. Tissue engineering to develop new salivary tissue is a promising area of research. Dr. Witt also participates in research projects to assist with thyroid gland and vocal fold regeneration. This research includes biologists, materials engineers and a surgeone.